Advisory Opinions are issued by the Commission upon request.
They may be requested by:
- Persons covered by the Code of Ethics;
- Any person personally or directly involved; or
- The Commission on its own initiative.
The Code of Legislative Ethics requires a request for an advisory opinion:
- To be submitted to the Commission in writing;
- To state relevant facts; and
- To ask specific questions.
Confidentiality of requests for an advisory opinion
The Commission is required to promulgate administrative regulations establishing criteria under which it may issue confidential advisory opinions.
A request remains confidential unless confidentiality is waived:
- In writing by the requestor;
- By majority vote of the Commission, if the person makes public the substance or portion of an advisory opinion requested.